The sun bed wars and the obsolescence of the concept of holidays.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/holidays-from-hell-caught-on-camera

There is such a thing as sun bed wars. Seriously, look it up. Sun bed wars. Looks a lot like rush hour to me, a hell of a lot like rush hour. Isn’t the point of going away on holidays to relax, disconnect from the constant urgency and precipitation of the daily grind? Watching a video like this seems almost laughable.

Data has revealed that British citizens are the most depressed people in the Western World, having more than double depression sufferers than people in Greece or Italy.

The overall number of people with mental health problems has not changed significantly in recent years, but worries about things like money, jobs and benefits can make it harder for people to cope. 

It appears that how people cope with mental health problems is getting worse as the number of people who self-harm or have suicidal thoughts is increasing. (Taken from the NHS National Archives).

I recently did a survey and posted it on my social media to find out he reasoning behind people staying in a city like London, and how many times they wished to escape it. A total of 57 people took my survey and these are the results-

The results of the survey primarily reveal that job opportunity and lifestyle are the main attractions of London for those who took the survey. I was surprised to learn that 42.11% of the group was planning on staying in London for 5 years or more, but the other responses seem to match my presumptions of what people like and dislike from the city.

An astonishing 39.28% of people dislike the living costs of the city the most, yet 47.37% of surveyees chose to go on holiday between twice and thrice a year. Correlation need not mean causation by any means, yet these results seem to demonstrate quite the pattern in my eyes. The job opportunities and lifestyle that attract people to the city also seem to be the factors that drain the most, as people seem to struggle to keep up with the costs of a decent living and all the activities that are enjoyable, yet costly. The wish to escape between 2 to 3 times a year, despite the monetary implications is an indicator of the burnout culture I have described in my previous posts.

The fact that almost half of the people are willing to stay in London for the next 5 years or more was unexpected in one sense, but expected in another, as it is hard to simply drop all responsibilities and move away for a while, or for a longer while. This is where my project begins to really get grounded, as I feel it provides with an alternative to having to drop everything, or having to change your lifestyle.

Whilst doing my research, I came across the Buddhist peace fellowship, which had a similar principle to the one I was proposing, so I decided to investigate further just to be sure I wasn’t just copying something that clearly existed before.

Vision

Aware of the interconnectedness of all things, the Buddhist Peace Fellowship cultivates conditions for peace, social justice, and environmental sustainability within our selves, our communities, and the world.

Upon reading this, I kind of panicked slightly as I am willing to promote exactly these values, HOWEVER-

Mission

The mission of the Buddhist Peace Fellowship (BPF), founded in 1978, is to serve as a catalyst for socially engaged Buddhism. Our purpose is to help beings liberate themselves from the suffering that manifests in individuals, relationships, institutions, and social systems. BPF’s programs, publications, and practice groups link Buddhist teachings of wisdom and compassion with progressive social change.

I think this is what sets me aside. I don’t wish to create a practice, or a system of belief, or any kind of lifestyle for that matter. I don’t even wish to educate per say, although it would be a by-product (hopefully). The mission of Reset is to give space, air, and to slow time down, and everyone experiencing it can draw their own damn conclusions from it. If someone realized after experiencing it that their job of lifestyle isn’t their problem, but something else and they wish to carry on being dicks to the environment and doing coke every weekend or whatever, that isn’t a failure, because the purpose of the program was fulfilled.